Sunday, November 25, 2012

A supposedly suppressed thought

I really find this suitable to be posted. I'm quite surprised that I was even able to made myself aware of this embarrassing experience I had way back when I was a fresh man. I thought I have enforced this to be forgotten.

Those were the same days as the first time commuters would go home in groups to share the same jeepney ride home. Those days when orange skies roof children who would trip on random houses to disturb them by continuously knocking on their doorbells and would run like crazy horses. Days when your nerdy classmate would intentionally bump into a not so cheap looking car to make it wang its emergency alarm exempting the fact that the vehicle is parked within a hospital's lot. Who would ever miss the tokneneng days and gulaman, the unripe mango with bagoong even singkamas at the cost of P1 (which I never really liked).

Unfortunately, those were the same days as heavy traffics causing jeepney drivers to cut their trips to Mindanao avenue. Resulting long waits to these midgets.

It was a usual afternoon when our group decided to ride in a single jeepney. We waited forever to catch one that would ensconce the varying size of our buns. All were happy to be in the same vehicle. We had all of our fares settled with the driver. Then comes to my friend's stop, I knew he would be alighting as he was always the first one. I volunteered to signal the driver. As soon as the magic word left my mouth:


"PARA" 


Nobody moved. I hid that facial expression but I wanted to inquire why no one is moving? Even the jeepney's not.


I looked at my friend and asked him, "Ba't di ka pa bumababa (Are you not going?)"

He answered, "May pupuntahan ako sa bayan e. (I needed to go to the town market)"


I can't believe his revelation. The driver does not have a lifetime to wait until the right passenger gets off the vehicle, I can't move but (I think) everyone needs my reasoning out for such action.


I hid all emotions inside. I reached a decision. I exclaimed: "Dito kasi ako bababa e, pupuntahan ko yung tita ko (I'm heading to my aunt's house, I'm getting off now.)

Then it was a common scenario. An alighting passenger passing you.


And what was the consequence of my assuming act?

Is your answer: You took the next jeepney ride to take you home?

Mine is: I waited several minutes for their jeepney to get farther. I am a student and I am given an exact allowance for my daily expense, I do not have extra cash to take me home, I walked 1.8 kilometers and got home hungry and thirsty.

I never did this again. Not even out of courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment